Saluki Express - Welcome Aboard!
The Official Saluki Express Time is
The Saluki Express mass transit system is SIUC's answer to parking and traffic problems. SIUC students, faculty and staff, as well as the Carbondale community, are encouraged to get on board. Relax and be transported to work, school, or popular destinations such as the University Mall, Illinois Avenue and Murdale Shopping Center. This convenient system offers eleven routes that operate seven days a week (while school is in session), and a break route that operates while school is not in session. Full service begins two days prior to the start of each academic term.
The Saluki Express is running on the Fall 2007 Schedule.
Fares and Bus Passes
- SIUC students ride FREE, with a valid student ID.
- Bus passes for unlimited rides are available at the Central Ticket Office on the 2nd floor of the Student Center. Fall, Spring, and Summer passes are valid from the first day of class of the designated term until, but not including, the first day of class of the following term. Monthly passes are only valid for the designated month, not for thirty days from the date of purchase (i.e. a monthly pass purchased for July is only valid for July). Passes may be purchased prior to or during the respective period. Rates for Fall, Spring or Summer passes are as follows: $50 for SIUC faculty, staff and the general public; $46 for CESL students; $40 for spouses and children of SIUC Students. Monthly passes are $17 per month for everyone.
- Regular fare for non-pass holders is $1.00. Exact change only.
- Children under five ride free when accompanied by an adult. Children must be seated with an adult.
- All passengers are required to display a valid SIUC ID or a bus pass. If neither of these items are displayed to the driver, $1.00 must be deposited in the fare box. Anyone failing to comply may be instructed to leave the bus. A class schedule will not be accepted in lieu of a student ID.
- The driver reserves the right to deny entrance to any individual displaying unruly or belligerent behavior. If the individual is on the bus, he/she may be asked to leave at the next scheduled bus stop.
- There is no smoking or open alcohol permitted on the bus. No pets or bicycles allowed on the bus.
- Items brought on bus cannot be stored in the bus aisles or wheelchair station areas.
- Service may vary from the published schedule in the event of severe weather, construction or other unforeseen conditions.
- Schedules are subject to change when system alterations are required; any deviations from the original schedule will be announced prior to implementation.
- Saluki Express is funded by SIUC student fees, fare box revenues and bus pass sales. All bus routes and policies originate with the Mass Transit Advisory Council. If you have any questions or concerns contact the Saluki Express Office (618.453.5749) or Beck Bus (618.549.2877) during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm).
Helpful Riding Hints
- Arrive at your stop a few minutes ahead of the time the bus is due to arrive. Saluki Express drivers make every effort to operate on schedule, however, arriving a few minutes early will help to ensure that buses are not missed.
- Please wait at designated Bus Stop locations. This makes it easier for the driver to tell if you are waiting for the bus.
- Please have your student ID, semester pass or $1.00 fare ready when boarding, this will help the driver keep on schedule.
- After dark, passengers may request drop-off anywhere along the route as long as the driver deems it safe to do so. Please announce the location of your requested stop to the driver ahead of time.
- Please refrain from smoking, drinking alcohol and littering on the Saluki Express, it will make for a more comfortable ride for all passengers.
- Please check the bus schedule for specific arrival and departure times. Certain routes include a brief waiting period.
During University holidays and vacation periods the Saluki Express will operate a specially designed break route. This will be the only route in operation during these times. The only days during break periods that the route will not run is on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
Below is a list of the scheduled break periods during which the Saluki Express Break Route will be in operation. During these times, it will be the only route in operation.
- Spring Vacation: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - Sunday, March 18, 2007
- Spring/Summer Intercession: Saturday, May 12 2007 - Friday, June 8, 2007
- Independence Day: Wednesday, July 4, 2007
- Summer/Fall Intercession: Saturday, August 4, 2007 - Friday, August 17, 2007
- Labor Day: Monday, September 3, 2007
- Veterans Day: Monday, November 12, 2007
- Thanksgiving Vacation: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - Sunday, November 25, 2007
(Buses will not run on Thanksgiving Day)
- Winter Break: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - Friday, January 11, 2008
(Buses will not run on Christmas Day or New Year's Day)
- Martin Luther King, Jr.s Birthday: Monday, January 21, 2008
- Spring Vacation: Saturday, March 8, 2008 - Sunday, March 16 2008